National Weather Service Forecast
For the West Slopes Northern Cascades and Passes
Tonight (Thursday) … Snow… Heavy at times. Snow accumulation around 6 inches. Snow level 3500 feet. Southwest wind in the passes 10 to 20 mph.
Friday… Snow… Heavy at times. Snow accumulation around 6 inches. Isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Snow level 3000 feet. Afternoon pass temperatures in the lower to mid 30s. Southwest wind in the passes 10 to 20 mph.
Friday night… Snow showers. Snow accumulation up to 6 inches. Isolated evening thunderstorms. Snow level 3000 feet. Southwest wind in the passes 10 to 20 mph.
Saturday… Snow and rain. Breezy. Snow level 3000 feet. Afternoon pass temperatures in the lower to mid 30s. Southeast wind in the passes 15 to 25 mph.
The snow level is down around 3,000 ft. Things to keep in mind:
- The gate is at 2,400 ft. Snow is not predicted this low but if we get any the shade will keep it around. Parking and turning around can be trecherous.
- So far the lower stretch of SR2 has been slush or bare but given snow accumulations the plows may create a large snow berm across the entrance to FS820, trapping you behind it. Carry a shovel in your vehicle.
- The lower BPA Easement clearcut is at 2,840 ft and expected to have light snow
- The trailhead is at 3,000 ft and you can expect the heavier snow to be near this level and up.
- The springs are at 3,500 ft. As of right now there is 22 inches of snow at the Stevens Highway crest and they are expecting up to 36 inches by Saturday. Scenic faces north and is shaded. Expect a lot of snow up there; possibly snowshoe weather.
- The overnight temperatures are hovering around 27 F with stiff breezes at times. That’s below freezing so dress appropriately and make sure someone knows where you are going.