I do apologize to those who have requested access to Scenic Hot Springs and as yet have not received a reply from me. I have been basically away for the past several months while undergoing chemotherapy for mylogenous leukemia. It is only now . . . after this round . . . that I even feel like rejoining the world around me. I even feel good enough for a hike let alone going through months worth of email.
That said, Scenic is still there. The last reports I received said that the Lobster feed was still running cold due to the snow melt while the Bear Den feed was running just above body temperature. Since the sole remaining Monster Tub has been segregated into two pools . . . each fed by the separate feeds . . . one tub is icy-cold while the other is a nice soak during warm weather. Both pools do require some scrubbing, cleaning and tender-loving-care, though.
Over the winter there has been a lot of unwanted activity up at Scenic, including a lot of campfire building, which is expressly prohibited. Other than that, the site is in pretty good shape.
With snow almost completely gone I expect both feeds will soon heat up and provide a great soak!
So, the question of access. I can’t possibly answer all the past requests I have received but as long as you are respectful and follow guidelines, I see no problem with a day visit to the springs. I do ask that you email me first and check this website to see if there is any on-going or planned activities by the owner that would preclude a visit. I can’t promise a speedy answer with my time spent in clinics but a lack of answer or posting here will generally mean nothing is planned and a visit is okay.
- Notify us first to check for activities.
- No fires, no camping, no dogs, no firearms. No nighttime soaking. No motorized vehicles on the trail up. Please respect the owners wishes.
- Pack it out. Leave the site cleaner than when you went in.
- Keep it low key. Small groups, no boomboxes, etc. Drink alcohol responsibly, if at all.
- While nudity is normal at the springs and on the trail up, lewd or sexual behavior will not be tolerated.
- If asked to leave by the owner, Mike, myself, Rick, or Matt, please do so. We represent the owner’s needs and know when a visit would be inappropriate . . . i.e., county inspectors assessing the site for permits.
- Consider making a donation to help offset cleanup and maintenance activities. Mike, Matt or myself would be happy to accept funds to buy trash bags and such.
Hopefully, I can get away myself and pay Scenic a visit soon. I miss the tranquility of the place and the friendly folks I meet up there.